Saturday 5 October 2013

All Hale the Almighty Baked Kale Chip

While practically every healthy, clean-eating, vegan, paleo, etc etc foodie has been incorporating kale into their life, I decided it was time for me too (because you know, I like to be a sheep). 
In particular, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with kale chips so I gave it a go yesterday afternoon - and boy I was not disappointed at all. 
These were so easy to make, and they came out perfectly! Best when just out of the oven, I really wanted to save some for my partner to try but I ended up eating them all in one sitting .. Whoops. They kind of remind me of packeted seaweed, but also Autumn leaves too because of its crunchiness - and the urge they just give you to step on them haha. 
Half of these I sprinkled with sea salt (a la 'originale') and the other half with nutritional yeast. My mum, (who thinks I'm strange always trying new health/super foods that she's never heard of), even liked it! Yep that means that this recipe is definitely a keeper.
BAKED KALE CHIPS
Ingredients
1 bunch kale, washed and dried completely
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt OR 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast OR opt for garlic salt, cumin, paprika, herbs, etc - whatever your tastebuds prefer :)

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Tear kale leaves into bite sized pieces - evenly sized for cooking consitency.
3. Toss kale leaves in a bowl with olive oil until all the chips are lightly coated, (not drenched in oil because this will make them soggy chips - um ew?)
4. Line baking tray with baking paper and spread kale leaves/chips, sprinkle with salt or nutritional yeast.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, until the edges are lightly brown. Watch carefully so they don't burn! Larger sized ones may take longer than 12 minutes while smaller sized chips will be quick.
6. Enjoy while warm :)

Quick Power Profile: Kale
What is it? A dark green, leafy vegetable part of the cabbage family
Great source of: Calcium, antioxidants (beta carotene, flavonoid), Vitamin A, C, K, fibre, minerals (including iron, manganese, phosphorus, copper)
Use it in: Chips (duh), smoothies, juice salads, soup, quiche + more.

Quick Power Profile: Nutritional Yeast
What is it? Not to be confused with it's related brewer's yeast, in that it has been deactivated and has no leavening ability.
Great source of: Complete Vitamin B complex + protein
Tastes like: Mildly nutty and cheesy, ( making it the perfect cheese substitutes for all you vegans out there)!

No comments:

Post a Comment