Friday 25 October 2013

Stale bread is for you, not the birds.

A lot of the time when I buy a loaf of bread I find myself excruciatingly slow to finish it all. And since no one else in my family appreciates the deliciousness and nutritional value of rye or wholegrain bread, often it ends up staling on the kitchen bench. Waste right?

Now it's not that I don't enjoy eating bread, it's just that:

a) My preferred carbs are sweet potatoes, chickpeas and oats.
b) I rather eat sources of proteins and fats because they fill me up more - so much that I end up forgetting about that loaf of bread I bought 5 days ago..

Anyone have a similar problem or am I just an odd eater?

Well if you are, here are 10 simple solutions to turn that nearly-stale-not-yet-mouldy-bread into something spectacular.

1. Bake a sweet fruity bread pudding for breakfast.
2. What about savoury pudding for lunch? Throw in some mushrooms and spinach instead.
3. Process it into breadcrumbs to coat your chicken breasts or meat balls.
4. Cut it up and toast into croutons to add some crunch to your soups and salads (think Panzanella).
5. Make some French-ass toast.
6. Cook up an egg in a basket (refer: V for Vendetta)
7. Use it as a base crust to make mini quiches in muffin tins.
8. Chuck on some minced garlic to make garlic bread or salsa for bruschetta.
9. Stuff it into a chicken or turkey.
10. Can't decide just yet? Freeze it and decide next month.



Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment